Monday, September 24, 2012

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Two days before I started The Candida Yeast Answer program I watched the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.  Coincidence or fate?  Who knows.  It's streaming on Netflix if your interested.  Wow, what an inspiring story.  Personally I was more fascinated and inspired by the truck driver than the main character but that's not really the point of this post.

I had already began planning my diet for my new treatment program and this movie gave me an idea.  We already had a $300 juicer (see picture below) sitting in our kitchen collecting dust.  It was one of the items my boyfriend got when he split with his ex.  In the two years we've been together it has been used once.  We've talked many times about how we should use it more but basically we've been to lazy to ever actually do it.  So I decided to incorporate juicing into my new treatment program.


I've never done an actual juice fast like they do in the movie nor do I plan to do one at this time.  I'm not overweight and I'm prone to hypoglycemia so it's probably not a great idea for me right now.  I have however replaced my breakfast with a juice and ground flaxseed.  I started this the same day I started my treatment program and so far I am loving it.  It really has given me a noticeable boost of energy in the mornings which I desperately need.  I've also noticed it seems to help curb my cravings for sugar and carbs and helps me to eat healthier for the rest of the day.  Plus what an easy and tasty way to alkalize your body!  Below is a sample of my typical juice:

2 handfuls spinach
1 beet including the greens
3-4 stalks celery
1/2 cucumber
1 handful carrots
1 green apple
parsley
small piece of ginger

I know most anti-candida diets say no fruits and even frown on carrots, however, The Candida Yeast Answer program allows for carrots and limited fresh fruits as long as they do not make you feel poorly.  I have limited my fruit intake to one apple a day for now.  I have also incorporated zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers, kale, swiss chard, lemon, cabbage and arugula into my juices.  I prefer to use produce that is organic or from my own garden.  Despite how it may sound or look they really are very tasty.

If any of you other juicers out there want to share your favorite recipe please feel free!

No comments:

Post a Comment